In order for the studies you setup on CloudResearch to be launched onto MTurk, you need to have an Amazon Mechanical Turk Requester account, an AWS account, and a CloudResearch account. In addition, your MTurk Requester account needs to be linked to your AWS account, and your AWS account needs linked to your CloudResearch account. In the steps below, we describe how to link your accounts.
Link your AWS account with your MTurk Requester account.
Assuming you have already created an AWS account, you should return to the Amazon Mechanical Turk Developer page and complete Step 2: Link Your AWS account with Your MTurk Requester Account, by clicking Link your AWS Account button. You will be asked to login with your AWS login information.
After you log in, select the option to Link This Account. If your AWS and MTurk Requester accounts were successfully linked, you will see a message on the next page saying so. You are done with Step 2.
After logging in with your AWS credentials, click Link This Account.
After successfully linking your AWS and MTurk Requester accounts you should see this message.
Register for the MTurk Developer Sandbox mode.
Sandbox mode allows you to develop studies in test mode without actually launching them.
At this point, Amazon will direct you to the Developer page so you can proceed to step 3. Click Register for the Requester Sandbox button. You will be asked to login again with your credentials. After logging in, enter your contact information (you can select the information you already put in or enter new information). Once you click continue at the bottom of the page, you will be registered for the MTurk Sandbox.
From the dashboard, select Add user.
Enter a username into the User name box. Then, select Programmatic access next to Access type. Finally, select Next Permissions to move to the next page.
Create an Identity and Access Management (IAM) user and give this user permission to access the MTurk API from your account.
This simply helps your account communicate with MTurk. To create the IAM user follow the steps below.
- Go to https://console.aws.amazon.com/iam/home?#/users and sign in using your login credentials.
- From the dashboard, choose Add user.
- On the following page, enter a user name into the user name box.
- Below the Select AWS access type section, select programmatic access.
- Choose Next Permissions to move to the next page.
Now, that you have an IAM user, you need to grant the user permission to communicate with the MTurk API. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Select Attach existing policies directly.
- Once the page loads, you will see a long list of “policies” that you can add to your IAM user. You need to check the policy named AmazonMechanicalTurkFullAccess. The easiest way to find this policy is to use the search bar.
- Once you’ve selected the AmazonMechanicalTurkFullAccess policy, select Next: Review.
- Review the information and then select Create user.
Select Attach existing policies directly in order to give your IAM user permission to access the MTurk API. Use the search bar to find the AmazonMechanicalTurkFullAccess policy. Once you find it, check the box to grant permission. Then select Next: Review.
Use the search bar to find the AmazonMechanicalTurkFullAccess policy. Once you find it, check the box to grant permission. Then select Next: Review.
Review the information on this page and then select Create user.
If successful, you should see a Success message along with information about your Access Key ID and Secret access key credentials. You need these credentials to connect CloudResearch with MTurk and this is the only time they will be displayed to you. Make sure you save them somewhere safe.
Link your CloudResearch account with your MTurk account
- Log into CloudResearch using your CloudResearch credentials.
- In the upper right corner, hover over the user icon and in the dropdown list select Link Mechanical Turk.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your Access Key ID and Secret Access Key into the empty boxes - to avoid typing errors, you may copy and paste the access key. Then, click Submit.
If you were successful, you should see a Success message. Your accounts are now linked!